With the release of Shinji Mikami’s The Evil Within on a multitude of platforms earlier this week, the highly anticipated game’s reception has been mixed at best. Some hate it, while others love it, however one detail that cannot be denied is that the PC version of The Evil Within is host to a large number of issues.
Many of The Evil Within‘s design quirks – including, but not limited to the aspect ratio/black bars and its 30fps lock – can be amended fairly simply with debug console commands (find out how to do so here).
However, one of the most persistent issues that cannot be fixed through the game’s debug console is its FOV (field of view), which is inappropriately close to Sebastian Castellanos’ back, taking up nearly half the screen. The game’s default FOV is frustrating at best, and utterly nauseating at worst.
Fortunately, the PC gaming community has come to the rescue, with an individual going by the name “K-Putt” offering an effective, while somewhat technical fix for The Evil Within‘s terrifying FOV problem.
Find out how to fix the game’s FOV and see some comparison screenshots after the break.
The Evil Within Unofficial FOV Fix Guide
How to Fix The Evil Within‘s FOV on PC
- Download and install Cheat Engine
- Start The Evil Within on Steam and Alt-Tab out of the game
- Download this The Evil Within Cheat Engine-table from DropBox
- Run Cheat Engine
- Click the open folder icon and point it to the above cheat table’s download location file
- Click the flashing computer icon in the top left, choose EvilWithin.exe, then click “Yes”
- Check “Enable Gameplay FOV”
- Go back to The Evil Within
- You should now be able to use + and – on your numpad to adjust the game’s FOV up or down in increments of 2.5
- Enjoy The Evil Within headache-free!
- The default FOV is 65. Press + key 10 times to achieve an FOV of 90.
- However, you may want to use an FOV of 85 instead of 90, otherwise you will be blinded by the lantern.
- If you lose track of what FOV you are currently at. you can view the current FOV-value in Cheat Engine.
Here are a couple of comparison shots:
Default FOV with Black Bars:
FOV at 90 without Black Bars:
What are your thoughts on this The Evil Within FOV fix? Will you try it out, or are you comfortable with the developer-intended FOV? Did this guide help you out?
Let us know in the comments section below! As always, stay tuned to GamerHeadlines.com for the latest in video game and technology news.
[show_avatar email=2355 align=center show_name=true show_biography=true]